Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ian Digby[_3_] Ian Digby[_3_] is offline

Default VBA versus VSTO (fundamentally excell based)

Another three reasons:

1. With VSTO you get the ability to deploy add-in code independently of
workbooks. If like me you have many users and frequent updates of the VBA
ad-ins you have developed, this may be a significant advantage.

2. You can use the DataGridView control which is a far more flexible and
versatile data control than anything accessible through VBA. I have got very
attached to it after seeing how easily you can produce neat interfaces using
this control and .NET forms.

3. .NET code signing offers much better code security than VBA. This is an
issue that's likely to get more important.

I am making the transition slowly (and sometimes painfully) but I think it
will be worth it. Good luck and here's encouragement to try it!
--
Work performed in the spirit of service is worship...Baha''i Writings

"AMDiesen" wrote:

After reading the posts on this forum regarding the subject of this post,
valid questions remain. 1) what is the value in switching from VBA to VSTO,
2) is there much of a movement to switch. My concerns focus on usability,
skill marketability, security of the code, and conversion of old code.

A summary of the previous posts regarding VSTO suggests that the language is
not yet mature, but simplification and ease of use should improve with
VS2008. (Chip, I've condensed and paraphrased some of your previous
comments). In addition VBA should remain mainstream in the near term, and
support for VBA should continue for the foreseeable future.

Any input that adds a little color to the issue is appreciated.