Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
mr tom mr tom is offline

Default Parameter Driven Query

Just a couple of quick questions:
What's the difference between ADO and ADO.NET? - Which do I need for Excel?
Where can I learn (idiot level) about this? Is there a good book or website?

Cheers.

"RB Smissaert" wrote:

There really isn't that much to learn there only a few objects, methods and
properties. Then there always is the public.data.ado NG to ask if you get
stuck. MS Query is fine for a quick query from the Excel interface, but if
you
get into anything that goes a bit further you are better of with ADO.

RBS

"mr tom" <mr-tom at mr-tom.co.uk.(donotspam) wrote in message
It probably would be better, but I'm still getting to grips with VBA and
SQL.
;)

I'm a project manager (not an IT one) rather than a techie, although I do
as
much techie stuff as I can as I don't like to be helpless...

Cheers.

"RB Smissaert" wrote:

Better to move away from MS Query and code with ADO where you have
parameterized queries and a lot of other useful options.

RBS

"mr tom" <mr-tom at mr-tom.co.uk.(donotspam) wrote in message

I'm used to using MS Query to return data to Excel, but there's a whole
stack of queries that I run each month (literally, dozens) where the
date
range needs to be changed.

I'm wondering whether I could put the chosen date ranges into an excel
spreadsheet, maybe in the format:

Col 1 Col 2 Col 3 Col 4
sheet query start date end date

...and use VBA to modify the SQL for me.

Alternatively, can the SQL itself be written to request a parameter
from a
particular location?

Any ideas? This could be a massive time saver!

Cheers,

Tom.