Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
INTP56 INTP56 is offline

Default Series order vs Legend Order in Charts

First off, Excel 2003.

OK, first some background. I'm getting variable data sets back from a
database. (Variable because what gets captured varies by station and run,
this part is out of my control) I use ADO to put the data into a worksheet,
OK.

I have a list of column headers where if they show up, I want to plot them.

I go through the column headers looking to see if they match, and if they
do, I add them as a series to the chart. In addition, if the column header
contains the word "weight", I want to plot that on a secondary axis and use
diamond markers to indicate those lines are using the secondary axis.

At this point, everything is fine, EXCEPT...

Although the order of the series I added is the order in which I added them,
the Legend Entries are not. My routine in words is

Create a new series
Assign attributes
If the name has "Weight" in it, I alter the last legend entry (Using .count)

This "works" when I ASS-U-ME the series I just added will be the last legend
entry.

In my test case, it works for the first six series I add:

FluidNumber
Pump Rate
Pump Volume
Oil Weight
Water Weight
Sand Weight

However, stepping through the code, the next .NewSeries shows up at postion
4 in the legend.

FluidNumber
Pump Rate
Pump Volume
New Series
Oil Weight
Water Weight
Sand Weight

I set Series.Name to "Sand DP" (from New Series) and since it doesn't have
the text "weight", I set LegendEntry(7) to be with no marker, which is not
what I want.

Any Ideas on what's happening or how to code this?

Thanks, Bob