Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Don Guillett Don Guillett is offline

Default Case Statement for Changing Font AND Background Color

Don't use the whole column and do use the on error statement. As written, it
is only looking up 1,2,3,4,5,6

Sub docolor()
On Error Resume Next
lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "a").End(xlUp).Row
For Each c In Range("a1:a" & lr)
x = Application.Choose(c, 3, 46, 6, 4, 5, 13)
c.Interior.ColorIndex = x
c.Font.ColorIndex = x
Next c

Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

"jjones" wrote in message
Hi Don

You seem to have taken a different approach to my problem. I'm intrigued
but I don't really understand what your code is saying. I did expand the
range to include all of column A...maybe I screwed it up when I did that.
entered:

Sub docolor()
For Each c In Range("a:a")
x = Application.Choose(c, 3, 46, 6, 4, 5, 13)
c.Interior.ColorIndex = x
c.Font.ColorIndex = x
Next c
End Sub

It does seem to respond to my VLOOKUP cells, but all I get is green (color
code 4). Was I supposed to add something else?

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Try this. Adjust colors to suit from color palette numbers.
Sub docolor()
For Each c In Range("a11:a16")
x = Application.Choose(c, 3, 46, 6, 4, 5, 13)
c.Interior.ColorIndex = x
c.Font.ColorIndex = x
Next c

Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

"jjones" wrote in message
Column A of my spreadsheet contains a VLOOKUP formula all the way down
that
returns one of six numerical answers (i.e. the number 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or
6).
I want these numbers there for sorting purposes, but I don't want to
actually
see them. Instead I want to see a "color code" all the way down. So
if
the
value is 1, then I want the background color and the font for that cell
be
red. If 2, then orange, etc...

I know that conditional formatting limits me to 3 conditions, but I'm
sure
that I can write some sort of CASE statement to do the same thing.
I've
found several posts similar to what I'm looking for, but not exact. I
tried
to piece them together, but since my VB skills leave alot to be
desired, I
need some help to pull this off. What I have is something like this:

Dim icolor As Integer

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A1:A10")) Is Nothing Then
Select Case Target
Case 1
Font.ColorIndex = 3
icolor = 3
Case 2
Font.ColorIndex = 46
icolor = 46
Case 3
Font.ColorIndex = 6
icolor = 6
Case 4
ColorIndex = 4
icolor = 4
Case 5
Font.ColorIndex = 5
icolor = 5
Case 6
ColorIndex = 13
icolor = 13
Case Else
'Whatever
End Select

Target.Interior.ColorIndex = icolor

It doesn't seem to do anything. Can someone tell me how this code
should
be
written?

Thanks in advance,