Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Peter T Peter T is offline

Default Name limits

Hi Alan,

The 5461 element limit in Xl2000 does not relate to Names but the number of
elements that can be handled by certain worksheet functions, though it also
limits say 'application.transpose' in vba in early versions.

I'm not aware of any difference in limits for Names between xl97-2003. As
you say the limit is 256 elements in a horizontal array (actually from
memory I thought 255), but many tens of thousands in a vertical array are
certainly possible (even in xl97). I've not tested the limit for vertical
elements in a Named array but would have guessed it's either 65536 or one
less than the number of rows, ie 65535, an inconvenience which also affects
certain worksheet functions.

As I say, I've not tested and you say you've defined a Named array of
1,000,000 elements, I assume that no single column had more than 65k
elements, ie rows (?), if so I would be surprised. Until thoroughly testing
I'd be nervous about relying on such a large Named array. If such a name
does prove reliable and manageable I suppose the practical limit would be
determined by system resources.

Note you can only create/edit a Named array programmatically (not
straightforward) if the total length of the array exceeds 255 characters.

Regards,
Peter T

"Alan Beban" wrote in message
I understand that the limits on the number of elements of an array that
can be stored in a Name was 256 columns and 5461 elements in xl2000. In
xl2002 it seems to remain 256 columns, but the number of elements seems
to be upwards of 1,000,000. Is there some source I can go to for the
number of elements in 2002, and what the limits are in current versions?

Thanks,
Alan Beban