Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dale Fye Dale Fye is offline

Default Compare values of cells in a range

Guys,

I guess I wasn't clear enough. The code I posted was not working. Excel
was not recognizing Cell as a valid object, and was giving me range errors as
well. I ended up using:

Public Function fnMaxClass(rng As Range)

Dim obj As Object
Dim myMax As String
Dim bIsVisible As Integer, bScreenUpdates As Boolean

bIsVisible = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("TaskStandards").Visible
bScreenUpdates = Application.ScreenUpdating

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("TaskStandards").Visible = True
ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("TaskStandards").Activate

rng.Select
For Each obj In Selection
'insert comparison code here
Next

ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("TaskStandards").Visible = bIsVisible
Application.ScreenUpdating = bScreenUpdates

fnMaxClass = myMax

End Function

I was hoping to avoid all of those additional steps

Dale
--
email address is invalid
Please reply to newsgroup only.

"Nigel" wrote:

Not sure this is what you are asking but the following compares and does not
select first and works for hidden or very hidden sheets. If you are
comparing strings you might like to Trim the values to remove leading and
trailing spaces.

If cell.value = anothercell.value then
' do something
else
' do something
end if

Nigel

"Dale Fye" wrote in message
I want to compare the values of cells in a range, without actually
selecting
the range. If so, what is the proper syntax? BTW, the sheet that the
range
is on is hidden.

Private Function fnCompCells(rng as Range) as String

For each cell in rng
Dim myValue as string
If cell.value .....
'insert some comparison code here
endif
Next
fnCompCells = myValue
End
--
Don''t forget to rate the post if it was helpful!