Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Keith R[_2_] Keith R[_2_] is offline

Default How will we create UDF's on 64 bit OS after support for VBA is

Does anyone know if the 2008 express editions include the office templates?
<fingers crossed

Thanks,
Keith

"Chip Pearson" wrote in message
If you are really going to move to the NET world, you should wait for
Visual Studio 2008, due out, I think, Q1 2008. It comes standard with a
new version of VSTO integrated into the IDE. You'll get a lot more
templates, depending on what Office programs you have installed. In
VS2008, I get 14 Office 2007 project templates and 10 Office 2003 project
templates.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Don" wrote in message
Thanks. Your web site will be quite helpful. Although I have a few years
expereince using VBA I am new to Visual Studio and know nothing of
windows
programming or .NET. For sure there is lots of info out there - right
now
I'm "drinking from the firehose".

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

Create a VB.NET Class Library and write your functions in that library.
This
is straight NET, no VSTO required.
http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/Creati...nctionLib.aspx

Personally, I think NET will be MUCH more tightly integrated with Office
(not via VSTO/SE, which strikes me as something of a hack job to get
*something* NET-related into Office) long before we see the demise of
VBA.
(Remember, XLM is/was supported 12 years after is was made "obsolete" by
VBA.) There are millions upon millions of lines of VBA out in the world.
doubt MS would abandon all of that code. VB6 is still fully supported
(as in
it works, not as in MS provides tech support or updates) 6 years after
is
was made obsolete by NET.

It is just my opinion, but NET has a long way to go to make it easily
integrated with Office.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel, 10 Years
Pearson Software Consulting
www.cpearson.com
(email on the web site)

"Don" wrote in message
I read somewhere that Microsoft plans to drop support for VBA/VBE in
office
apps in future releases of office for 64 bit OS. Remembering how fast
the
uptake of 16 to 32 bit systems was, I figure it won't be long that
most
office workstations will be 64 bit OS, so I decided to learn about
VSTO.

One of the first things I learned was that you can't create UDFs in
VSTO -
you have to use VBA (while VBA can interact with VSTO objects, you
still
need
VBA).

So, the missing piece of info I have not been able to track down is
how we
will be able to create UDF's in excel for environments where VBA is no
longer
supported. Perhaps I have misundestood something I read?