Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
[email protected] paul.robinson@it-tallaght.ie is offline

Default Further to my last thread - Check for worksheet in a closed file

On Dec 4, 2:50 pm, Les Stout wrote:
Hi all,
I got the function below from Bob Phillips yesterday and would like to
know if it is possible for it to give me the name of the sheet that it
finds ?

Any help would be much appreciated...

Function IfSheetExists(FileName As String, sh As String) As Boolean
Dim oConn As Object

'FileName = "\\nv09002\tpdrive\Projects\General\50_Comparisons \KTL's\" &
myKTLih & ".xls"
'sh = Worksheets("TOOL TRACKING")

Set oConn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
oConn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
"Data Source=" & FileName & ";" & _
"Extended Properties=Excel 8.0;"

On Error Resume Next
oConn.Execute "SELECT 1 FROM [" & sh & "$] WHERE 0=1"
IfSheetExists = (Err.Number = 0)

oConn.Close
Set oConn = Nothing

End Function

Best regards,

Les Stout

*** Sent via Developersdexhttp://www.developersdex.com***

Hi
The input sh to the function is the name of the sheet, or have I
missed something? Why would you need the function to return it if you
already know it??
Maybe if you are inside a loop???

For each Sh in Activeworkbook.worksheets
If IsSheetExists(FileName, Sh.Name) then
FoundSheetName = Sh.Name
End If
Next Sh

regards