Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Charles Williams Charles Williams is offline

Default 2003: Slow Response on ClearContents

Hi Rick,

Do you have Excel 2007 installed?
If you do not have it installed then I think its something to do with
updating the system with Microsoft Update.

Anyway Enablevents=False seems to solve the problem

Charles
UK Cambridge XL Users Conference 29-30 Nov
http://www.exceluserconference.com/UKEUC.html

wrote in message
On Nov 29, 10:05 am, wrote:
When I useClearContentsin Excel2003I get a veryslowresponse, when
clearing many rows. For example, if I clear about 30 columns and 30,000
rows,
it might take 10 minutes. If I run the same procedure

I have found a solution to this problem (sort of). The delay is
eliminated if I issue the following command before clearing the cells.

Application.EnableEvents = False

As I understand it, an "Event" is something like opening or closing a
sheet, or other things such as clicking on or changing a cell, etc. I
have not added any code pertaining to eny event and so I am not sure
why disabling the event checking should work. As I mentioned, this
problem occurs on some computers and not others, regardless of what
workbook is open, and so it must relate to a general or global
setting. I cannot find anything in the various options that seems
relevant. Any suggestions of where to look? Since the slow response
occurs even when I clear cells in the sheet (and not by using a macro)
I would like to be able to change a setting that eliminates the
problem for good.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
...Rick