Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc, microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel, microsoft.public.excel.sdk
Goofball Goofball is offline

Default Exit from Excel edit mode using IDispatch

Thanks. By now, I've made it such a way, that I ask user to exit the
edit mode and click Retry. Interesting thing: I was sending the Enter
key, but it didn't work if a save dialog was opened and the focus was
on some folder - it just opened that folder in the dialog :) If I send
ESC key, then it exists the save dialog, but looses the changes made
by user. Looks like the only way is to ask the user what he/she want
to do. And another thing: sending keys does not work the same on
different versions of office. Excel 2000 just did nothing...
Well, anyway, thanks you for your help.

On Nov 17, 12:11 pm, "Steve Dalton"
<NOsteveSPAM(at)NOeigensysSPAM(dot)com wrote:
This probably is a horrible way to approach the problem, from a style point
of view, but would sending the Excel application either an ESC (would clear
edit and other user-interaction modes) or ENTER (would accept user input or
execute a paste operation, etc.) keystroke via the Win32 API work for you?
The latter might carry risks that are unacceptable, the user getting things
copied over existing cells, for example.

"Goofball" wrote in message

ups.com...

Exit from Excel edit mode using IDispatch

I've searched Internet and groups, but can't find a solution to this.
Can anyone, please, tell, is there any way to perform exit from Excel
edit mode in programmatic way with either accepting user input or
cancelling it. I need to do that from another application using the
IDispatch pointer to Excel. Here is another trick comes out: I can get
the pointer to the active instance of Excel. I can even determine if
is it in edit mode (just call the function to activate my ole object
of excel and I get the E_OUTOFMEMORY error. That is understandable).
So when I detect, that excel is in Edit mode, is there any way to tell
excel to exit that mode? Any ideas? Thanks for any help.