Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ian Ian is offline

Default chart and automation error

Hello,

I am starting to play with macro features in Excel. For testing purposes, I
have created a table of random values and want to creat a macro that will
plot a line chart of selected values. I've encountered an error and am
asking if someone can explain why it is happening and how to correct the
code. Sample code is provided below. The last line of the sample code (i.e.
myChart.ChartType = XlChartType.xlLine) generates the error:
run-time error '-2147221080 (800401a8): Automation error

The code runs without problems if I replace the problem line with:
ActiveChart.ChartType = XlChartType.xlLine

My question is why does 'ActiveChart.ChartType ' work but not
'myChart.ChartType '?

Thanks,

Ian

Public Sub TestChart()

Dim myWorkBook As Workbook
Set myWorkBook = ActiveWorkbook

Dim strWorkSheet As String
strWorkSheet = "Sheet3"
Dim myWorkSheet As Worksheet
Set myWorkSheet = myWorkBook.Worksheets(strWorkSheet)

Dim ctGroups As Integer
ctGroups = 2

Dim ctGroupRows As Integer
ctGroupRows = 10

Dim myChart As Chart
Set myChart = myWorkBook.Charts.Add
myChart.Location Whe=xlLocationAsObject, Name:="Sheet3"
myChart.ChartType = XlChartType.xlLine

End Sub