Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.access
Ed from AZ Ed from AZ is offline

Default Can I get Excel to import XML like Access?

(Windows XP Pro, Office 2003) I work with a Java-based program that
creates an XML file. Normally, we do not work directly with the XML
files. Sometimes, though, information needs to be transferred between
XML docs, and I've been trying to find a way to do that.

The Java program consists of forms to fill out, and some of them are
repeating, or child, forms. This is the data that I am most
interested it - seeing all the data for each of the child forms in a
group where I can edit, add, delete, etc as I wish.

When I try to open an XML file with Excel (either by right-clck on the
XML file and Open With or XL Data XML Import), Excel creates
a schema that doesn't present the information in a way I can logically
work with it. When I import the file into Access, thoguh, it creates
a separate table for each major section.

I am not familiar with Access, except to know that I can't manipulate
data in an Access table like I can in an Excel spreadsheet. I would
like to be able to get my XML data to import into Excel either as
separate worksheets for each major section or to be able to choose
just the one section to import and work with. Failing that, I'll
probably see about importing into Access, exporting the one table out
and Excel, working with it, importing that table back into Access, and
then saving the file.

Any pointers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ed