Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
macropod macropod is offline

Default Seperate massive data within 1 cell into individual columns

Any macro or fast manual method?
Only one: get the person who created the file to supply it in a delimited format (eg with comas or tabs separating the fields), and
with a single header row instead of including the field descriptions in the data.

Failing, that, Text-to-Columns with a colon delimiter (ie ':') will get you started - you can then do a Find/Replace on each column
to delete the field descriptions - which almost invariably fall at the end of the previous column's text.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

wrote in message oups.com...
I'm trying to separate a tons of data into individual fields with its
own column for each title. The data in one individual cell (A1) looks
like this:

TI.A.38.01. *Name: 1: ABDUL BAQI 2: na 3: na 4: na Title: a) Maulavi
b) Mullah Designation: a) Governor of the provinces of Khost and
Paktika under the Taliban regime b) Vice-Minister of Information and
Culture under the Taliban regime c) Consulate Dept., Ministry of
Foreign Affairs under the Taliban regime DOB: Approximately 1962 POB:
Jalalabad city, Nangarhar province, Afghanistan *Good quality a.k.a.:
na Low quality a.k.a.: na *Nationality: Afghan Passport no.: na
National identification no.: na Address: na *Listed on: 23 Feb. 2001
(amended on 7 Sep. 2007 and 21 Sep. 2007) *Other information: Believed
to be in the Afghanistan/Pakistan border area. Until 7 Sep. 2007 he
was also listed under number TI.A.48.01.

I need to separate them into individual column according to the given
field listed above. I have 1500 of these cell lined up on Column A, I
need to sperate them all at once to save time. Are there any solution
to resolve this problem? Any macro or fast manual method?

Thanks a million!

Alyse