Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
OssieMac OssieMac is offline

Default How to copy and paste row as a text within workbook including

Hi again Georgee,

Unfortunately I have found that csv files import without giving the user the
opportumity to nominate the type of data in each column and Excel often
"guesses" wrong.

I am interested if anyone has a better solution but the way I handle these
is to change the name of the file to .txt via windows explorer. (Answer Yes
to the warning about changing file names etc).

Then when you import the .txt file you get the opportunity in the Text to
Columns dialog boxes to nominate the delimiter and as you progress through
the dialog boxes you can select the individual columns and nominate them as
General, Text, Date etc. Note that when selecting the format for the date,
you select the format that is already existing in the text file not
necesarily the format that you use in your locality because you are telling
Excel what the text data means. (I am in a dmy date format locality and if I
get a text file in mdy format, then I select mdy format and then Excel
displays it in dmy format in my worksheet.)

One other thing. I have experienced Excel "Remembering" the previous txt
file import details and importing the same as if it is a csv file without
going through the Text to Columns dialog boxes. If you have this problem,
close Excel and re-open it and start again.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

OssieMac