Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JE McGimpsey JE McGimpsey is offline

Default Excel - Passwords

I use PGP when I need to secure a file.

XL's built-in protections are useful for preventing *inadvertent*
changes in your workbook. They are nowhere near adequate for preventing
the modestly skilled and curious user from accessing everything in it.

In fact, you don't even need XL to read a significant amount of most XL
files. Giving the file a password doesn't encrypt it, so any
garden-variety hex editor can display a good deal of your workbook.

In article <WGrZi.39272$XF6.19848@edtnps90,
"C. Bailey" wrote:

If I want the contents of this file to be more secure, would I be further
ahead using the encryption that comes in products like Winzip, TrueCrypt,
Easycrypto, etc? Or is there an easier way within Excel or VBA to make them
secure?