Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Brian Herbert Withun Brian Herbert Withun is offline

Default ArrayFunctions: How do I... ?

On Nov 7, 11:08 am, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org
wrote:
Brian,

Why do you want an array function? A standard SUM functions works well, as you've found, so there
is no need for an array function.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Brian Herbert Withun" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

I want to know how to write a particular array function in Excel 2000.

Given: A table whose columns are days (S,M,T,W,T,F,S) and rows are
weeks (11/4,11/11,11/18) and whose cells are pagehits (integers)

I want to create a new column, WeeklyTotal, and I want that column
(column I) to be calculated using an arrayfunction.

Using a regular formula I can write I2 =SUM(B2:H2),
and I3 =SUM(B3:H3),
and I4 =SUM(B4:H4),
and ...

Using an array formula, what could I write? Assume I have data in
rows 2:10,
This doesn't work: I2:I10 {=SUM(B2:H2:B10:H10)} It gives a result,
but the wrong one.

This DOES work, but I hope there is an easier way:
I2:I10 {=B2:B10+C2:C10+D2:D10+E2:E10+F2:F10+G2:G10+H2:H10 }

So my question; *is* there an easier way, a shorter formula?

Brian Herbert Withun

My specific implementation is considerably more complicated that the
'hitcount' example I used in my original post. I have hundreds of
identical formula which occasionally change. I would like to use an
array formula both to reduce the number of formulas in the workbook
and to simplify the evolution of the workbook itself. I'd like to
make a single change rather than a hundred individual changes. I can
copy/paste the formula but then there is the possibility that I will
miss a cell or two, or an entire worksheet.

I also have the impression that the workbook will be smaller and
faster by using array functions.

Mostly, though, it is for convenience to me as I modify the formulas
moving forward

Brian Herbert Withun