Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
[email protected] simonboland@gmail.com is offline

Default Correct approach for clearing memory with repeated Database queries

I'm using a VBA macro to repeatedly pull data from a MySQL database
using an ODBC connector. This is the main subroutine with the query
(note I've removed various things from the macro such as server,
username, password and the exact query which aren't important)

Sub DataImport()
Dim rRng As Excel.Range
Sheets("Imported Data").Select
Set rRng = Range("A1:F1000")

With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:= _
"ODBC;DATABASE= ;DRIVER={MySQL ODBC 3.51
Driver};OPTION=0;;PORT=0;SERVER= ;UID= ;PASSWORD= " _
, Destination:=rRng)
.CommandText = Array( _
"SELECT * FROM table WHERE " _
)
.Name = "Query from Database"
.FieldNames = True
.RowNumbers = False
.FillAdjacentFormulas = False
.PreserveFormatting = True
.RefreshOnFileOpen = False
.BackgroundQuery = True
.RefreshStyle = xlInsertDeleteCells
.SavePassword = True
.SaveData = True
.AdjustColumnWidth = True
.RefreshPeriod = 0
.PreserveColumnInfo = True
.Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False
End With
Set rRng = Nothing

End Sub

The data gets dumped in the worksheet Imported Data.

I have another macro with a loop to run this query with different data
each time. The loop runs through about 1000 cases and each time I do
my analysis in another worksheet. Before I do a new import, I call
Selection.ClearContents and Selection.Clear to remove the previous
data.

The problem is that when I click on the imported data worksheek, my
CPU usage goes to 100%. I noticed that in the Excel Name Box
the .Name field "Query from Database" shows up numerous times.

My questions a
1) Why does the query name show up in the Excel Name Box?
2) Is there something I'm not doing to clear the previous data or
release the memory?
3) Is there some way to reduce the CPU usage when I click on the
imported data worksheet?

Thanks.