Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
OssieMac OssieMac is offline

Default Match and extract

Hi Tom,

VLOOKUP function. For the following example sssume that your File1 is Book1
and File2 is Book2. Formula placed in cell B2 in Book1. Copy formula down.

=VLOOKUP(A2,[Book2]Sheet1!$A$2:$B$28,2,FALSE)

Regards,

Ossiemac

"Tom" wrote:

I have 2 files. Column A of File1 has a short list of words but with no
meaning next to them. Whereas, File2 the reference file, contains a long
list of words together with their meanings in Column B. How can I match and
extract the information from File2 to Column B in File1? For instance, it
should not match "merge" with "emerge". Much appreciate your help.

Regards,
Tom