Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
ToyFixer ToyFixer is offline

Default Automatically Save a file on the Desktop

Hi Joel,
I am trying to get to my system administrator to do this for me. They have
disabled access to Start - Run - cmd.exe. Therefore I have to wait for him to
get the settings for me.

I don't know how to progress from there. How do I use a mapped drive to save
a copy on the desktop? plese help me a bit further on this.
Thank you
Toyfixer.

"Joel" wrote:

See if this macro gets you what you need. All the envirnomental variables
can be seen by doing the following

Start - Run - cmd.exe (this will open a DOS window)

In DOS window type set. Any parameter that is returned from the SET command
can be put into the code below

Sub test()
apdata = Environ("APPDATA")

End Sub

I think you need a mapped drive that contains the drive letter such as H:\.

"ToyFixer" wrote:

Hi
I have a set of Excel files sitting on a shared network drive which can only
be accessed through a file managing system developed with MS Access.

The users need the ability to save a copy of the file on their desktop. I
did it by using following code and it works fine.
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
ThisWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=WshShell.SpecialFolders("Desktop") & "\" &
ThisWorkbook.Name, password:=""

But our Information System department decided to execute the MS Access file
manager through a Citrix server. Everything else works fine, but
automatically saving of the copy on the user's desktop. I know this is
something to do with the file path through the Citrix server, however, I
don't know a method to get set the path automatically to the users desktop
and save a copy there.

Can anyone help me with this?
Thank you in advance
Toyfixer