tettrick

Hi Harlan,

I agree. If it were possible for me to handle this issue in the
database, it would be much easier. Unfortunately, the database resides
on a public Website, so I don’t have this kind of control over the way
arranges the data.

As for your explanation, I didn’t understand it completely. However, I
did try to follow your instructions…

I arranged the data in the cells based on the way I understood your
directions: I placed the two sets of data into two columns (A and B)
instead of four columns as I had them originally. I put the countries
from both lists in column A, placing the group with numbers in rows A1
through A20 and placing the group of countries’ names from the group
with the percentages into rows A21 through A40. In column B, I placed
the each country’s corresponding number in cells B1 through B20 and the
percentages in B21 though B40. Then I tried copying and pasting the
formula you labeled “C1” into cell C1, but I got a “#NAME?” error. I
copied this formula down column C through cell C20, and saw the same
“#NAME?” error in each of the cells.

I also tried to reverse-engineer the “C1” formula that you created, in
addition to trying to understand the structure of the other two
formulas you wrote (“A21” and “C21”). It seems as if you’ve used
different combinations of certain functions (VLOOKUP, MATCH, INDEX, and
COUNTIF) in order to get the result I’m looking for. However, I wasn’t
able to determine the meaning of “PTBL”, which I saw in the formulas.
Based on “PTBL”s position in the formulas, it appears to represent
something that would go into a field rather than representing a
function, but I looked in the list of functions for “PTBL” or something
that could be it, and I didn’t see anything that would appear to
represent.

I appreciate your willingness to help me solve this. Don’t feel
obligated to respond directly to my comments and observations. I wrote
these things to illustrate what I’ve done to try to put your advice to
use. Ultimately, I’m interested in using Excel to rearrange the data
properly, so I welcome any additional advice or explanation that might
help me to achieve this.

Thanks,
tettrick

--