Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jeff W. Jeff W. is offline

Default Deleting a txt file after reaqing it

Thanks for the reply Rick, however I do understand the risks of data loss
and the particular txt file is generated by another application, it isnt
sensitive
data or un replaceable data, so that wount be an issue.

Can you show me exmaple of how to use the kill command to delete a txt file?

Thanks,

Jeff W.

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
You could use VBA's Kill statement to remove the text file; however, you
should understand that the removal is permanent... a copy of the Kill'ed
file will NOT be in your Recycle Bin afterwards. I mention this because if
you read the file in, then Kill it, and your system should crash before
you save the spreadsheet, the data will be lost and the original text file
will not be recoverable. You could consider using the FileCopy statement
to copy the file into a Temp directory, then Kill it from its original
location; that way, you could delete it with your regular Temp directory
clean up sometime later on when you have safely saved the spreadsheet
and/or backed up your system.

Rick

"Jeff W." wrote in message
My work book prompts me for a txt file that I read data onto one of
my sheets to, and I want to delete this txt file after the read.

I'm not sure how to do this, can anyone offer advice

Thanks,

Jeff W.