Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
FSt1 FSt1 is offline

Default Floating Data Validation cell??

hi
sounds like a sheet combo box. they are a control that floats on top of the
sheet.
they are programable and the code that it is running is assigned to the
combo box and should be visible in the sheet code.
on the menu bar....toolscustomizetoolbar tab check control toolbox.
a tool bar will appear with all the available controls. you can click and
drag any to the sheet. at the top or left end(depending on how it displays)
click the small triangle. this puts you in design mode. right click the combo
box then click view code from the pop up. you can also view properties where
you can change it;s appearence such as color, name, caption ect.

hope this clears up things for you.
regards
FSt1

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote:

Excel XP & Win XP
I'm helping an OP who has 2003.
She sent me a part of her file and it has something in it that I have not
seen before.
Her file has a number of what appears to be Data Validation cells, but they
are not DV cells. They are boxes (think borders) with a drop-down arrow
permanently placed at the right end of the box. Click on the down arrow or
anyplace in the box and you get a drop down list.
The box has a macro assigned to it that fires whenever an item in the list
is clicked on.
The file has no UserForms nor any event code in any sheet nor the workbook.
What is this thing? Thanks for your time. Otto