Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Nigel[_2_] Nigel[_2_] is offline

Default Open-Save Strategy

Hi All
I have the following concept in mind and I am looking for the most effective
strategy for a solution.

On a network server I have an application workbook that many different users
can open and interact with simultaneously. When any user completes their
usage of the file it just closes (no save). The problem is that I cannot
avoid users receiving the message that the file is already in use, if
another user has it open already.

My thoughts so far are as follows....

1. Any user opens remote workbook
2. This workbook is 'saved as' a temporary.xls file locally in a temp space
on their local disc, releasing the server file.
3. Additional users can now open the server version (step 1 above) and the
cycle repeats for each user.

No user receives the file already is use message, unless it happens to
coincide with the open-save process of step 1 and 2 - likelihood of this
low.

Question: Is the viable and presumably I can use workbook events to control
the save and rename process.

Thanks

Nigel