Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
ryguy7272 ryguy7272 is offline

Default Find Unique Records; Must Use Fuzzy Logic

My supervisor and I are trying to come up with a way of finding and
eliminating, all duplicates from a large Excel worksheet which came from BCM
in Outlook. I am contemplating a few different ways of doing this. I found
a free utility on www.downloads.com that allows a user to do a €˜complex
filter to eliminate duplicates, but its not really giving me the results I
am looking for. I sorted by Company (Column F) and then by last name (Column
D) and then by first name (Column B). I am now wondering if there is a way
to use some kind of fuzzy logic to do a search for values that are almost
unique and hide the remainder of the rows, or almost duplicate and hide the
remainder of the rows. The issue is that Excel identifies lots of €˜unique
records because it identifies two people with two different office addresses
as two different records, but for our purposes this is one contact.
Similarly, a contacts name could be spelled Freuh, in the personal contacts
part of BCM, and the name could also be spelled in Frueh, in the public
contacts part of BCM. Again, these are two €˜unique records, but again, for
our purposes this is one contact. All company names are listed in Column F,
all last names are in Column D, and all first names are in Column B. I would
like to copy/paste all data on all rows with unique records (F, D, & B) to a
new sheet, or hide all rows with dupes. Any ideas? Would Access be able to
handle this?

Thanks, as always!
Ryan---

--