Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default Clearing Cells

Functions can only return results to cells in which they are entered.

They cannot format or clear cells.

Perhaps event code would serve you better.

See David McRitchie's site for event code.

Or Chip Pearson's site for similar info.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/Events.aspx

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On 30 Sep 2007 14:36:22 -0700, plh wrote:

Hello Everyone,
I thought this would be easy, but I must have something fundamentally wrong.
The following function has various cell-clearing test code lines in it, but none
have any effect on the contents of the cell. I have tried many other ways to do
it besides what is below.

Function ClearIt(v As Double) As Boolean
ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("MyData").Select
Selection.ClearContents
ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("MyData").ClearCo ntents
'Range("C5").Value = ""
ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Cells(5, 3).ClearContents
End Function

Changes to C5 fire the function as D5 contains =ClearIt(C5). My ultimate goal
is to have a change to any of the cells in the range "MyData" fire "ClearIt"
which will decide whether or not to clear the cells based on a set of logical
rules. But I am stuck on what I thought was a very simple test! Can anyone help
me?
Thanx,
-plh