More Info: In the workbook, all of the cells in many columns contained
a formula which divided the value in the adjoining cell by 2.

I then used Replace to change all of the formulas:
from cell/2
to cell/100

Because there were so many formulas, I got an "Continue without Undo?"
box and I replied "OK". Then, I got an "Out of Memory" error-message
and then a "Cannot display results" error-message. I then saved the
workbook.

Would this have caused the problem with opening the workbook? Is there
a way to open the workbook without having the formulas to be
recalculated?