Biff

Hi!

Just because a cell or range has a defined name doesn't mean you can't still
refer to the cell(s) by their address.

If A1 has a defined name of TYPE, you can still use A1 as a formula
reference.

Just my personal preference, but I very rarely use defined names. Here's
why:

=IF(Type=10,1,"")

=IF(A1=10,1,"")

Looking at the 2nd formula I can instantly tell where the references are.

Biff

"Steve L" <Steve wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet I am using for financial statements. In one area, I
have
to create sub-totals based on the rows above.

The problem is that some of the cells are set up as named ranges for use
elsewhere, and some are not. As a result, the formulas for my sub-totals
contain both names and cell references. When I try to copy these formulas
adjacent cells for other months, some formula components change (eg. C35
becomes D35) while others don't (eg. Jan_Sales stays as Jan_Sales).

This makes a complicated edit, overly prone to errors. It is also not
something I am comfortable turning over to someone else to use on an
ongoing
basis.

I could create names for the un-named cells, but this would result in a
HUGE
number of names to set up. Is there any way to use the cell reference for
the
named cells in the formulas I am creating?