Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Med Tom Med is offline

Default Cannot close a workbook in VBA due to Run-Time error '1004'

The wkbk is a correct object, I can see it is properly formed in the
local window. I have a nasty work around which involves trying to
close, if that fails then disabling events and closing again. I would
still be interested as to why the .close method can fail when you
overload some of the event methods

Tom

On 24 Sep, 14:00, Joel wrote:
This code works. I can't tell why from one statement what your problem is.
Maybe you forgot to use SET when you declared wkbk

Sub test()

Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
ActiveWorkbook.Path & "\" & "tempfile.xls"

Set wkbk = ActiveWorkbook

wkbk.Close
End Sub

"Tom Med" wrote:
When I try to call this method

wkbk.Close

I get this error message

Run-Time error '1004'

Method 'Close' of object '_Workbook' failed

If I step through the code it will close fine, but the bit of code
that seems to be causing a problem is the
Sub Workbook_Deactivate()
breaking into this in the debugger seems to resolve the issue, so I
cannot find the cause of the problem. Is there an error in the way
excel handles the close events? It seems something is fundamentally
wrong with the way excel is working in this senario.

Thanks
Tom