Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mitch Mitch is offline

Default Want to change color based on Text, NOT using Conditional Form

Thanks but that's a sub snippet. I'm not just there yet when it comes to
using the vba with Excel, I need it to automatically change the color of 2
cells, the CDN, and then the 33 value afterwards. I've already adjusted the
code to change the Font color not the cell color. I just need to figure out
how to get the neighbour cell to change. I might make it a function, and have
it called in the neighbouring cell and have it change the 2 cells to the left
of it.
I get ?NAME with this. :(

I figure I could call the function
=ColChange(A1,A2)

Except it doesn't work.
Function ColChange(r1 As Range, r2 As Range)
Dim r1 As Range

Select Case r1.Text
Case "USD"
r1.Font.ColorIndex = 5
r2.Font.ColorIndex = 5
Case "CDN"
r1.Font.ColorIndex = 3
r2.Font.ColorIndex = 3
Case Else
r1.Font.ColorIndex = xlNone
r2.Font.ColorIndex = xlNone
End Select
End Function

"JW" wrote:

Here's a little something to change color based on cell value in the
current selection. You can then write a little code to sum up the
number of cells with an interior color index of a certain color. You
could even do that with a UDF.
Sub foofer()
Dim r As Range
For Each r In Selection
Select Case r.Text
Case "Fred"
r.Interior.ColorIndex = 6
Case "Tom"
r.Interior.ColorIndex = 4
Case Else
r.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
End Select
Next r
End Sub
Mitch wrote:
I'm looking to change the color of numbers based on the text beside the column.
Then I need to sum up the values based on those colors.

I started things by using a Conditional Format, but that won't work. I
believe I have the code for the rest of this project though.

Also I'm looking through the Visual Basic Editor, there is a listing of all
the functions you can use, but no real detail or what they do. Any
information on where to find that? I could do this on my own if I knew more
about the calls to Excel.