Phil

Default How do I separate a text value with dashes?

Hello,

I have a column (called Tract Number) that contains a column with a 11
character number (BTW, it really isn't a number, if that helps), such as this
one: 7-5-029-001. The number will ALWAYS have this format, and will ALWAYS
contain 11 characters.

The first number (7 in this case) is for Township, the second (5) for Range,
the third (029) for Section, and the fourth (001) for Tract.

I have 4 new columns with Township, Range, Section, and Tract to the
immediate right of the Tract Number column. Here is my question:

How can I break up the 11 characters so that they will automatically
populate the appropiate columns?

TIA for your reply.