Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Med Tom Med is offline

Default Excel coredumps with each call to a dll - for function RegQueryValueExA in advapi32.dll

I am using a call to the following function

Private Declare Function RegQueryValueEx Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias _
"RegQueryValueExA" (ByVal hKey As Long, _
ByVal lpValueName As String, _
ByVal lpReserved As Long, _
lpType As Long, _
lpData As Any, _
lpcbData As Long) As Long

I then use this in code as follows, and each time I run it excel just
dies horribly. Is there something I am doing wrong? has anyone got
any working examples of RegQueryValueEx ?
I have checked the dll file exists and has this function call

Thanks
Tom

' Hello, World! for the Registry: gets this machine's name and prints
' it out.
Public Sub tempreg()

Dim pszName As String
Dim nNameLen As Long: nNameLen = 255
Dim hkResult As Long, hStartKey As Long
Dim nResult As Long
Dim nResult2
hStartKey = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
nResult = ERROR_SUCCESS

nResult = RegOpenKeyEx(hStartKey, _
"SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\ComputerN ame\
\ActiveComputerName", _
0&, KEY_READ, hkResult)
If (ERROR_SUCCESS = nResult) Then
nResult = RegQueryValueEx(hkResult, "ComputerName", 0, 0,
pszName, nNameLen)
If (ERROR_SUCCESS = nResult) Then
MsgBox "Hello, world, from " & pszName
Else