Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Cyhill Cyhill is offline

Default Import from MS Access - Lose the drive letter..link only to dr

Darren - Thanks for the quick reply!!

However, I must be missing something. When I select 'Edit Query', I do not
see the option you mention beow.

The query wizard takes me to a 'Choose Columns' prompt.

I'm running Office 2003...in case that makes a difference.

"Darren Bartrup" wrote:

Hi Cyhill,

I'm presuming you're using Data~Import External Data~Import Data

right-click on your imported table and select 'Edit Query'.
In the connection text box, find where it says Source=C:\folder name\... (or
whichever drive) and change this to the server name.

You can find your server name by looking in Explorer - it will appear
looking something like:
common on 'server-name' (J:)

in this case you would change the
Source=C:\folder name\...
//server-name\common\folder name\...

Remember the first two slashes are forward slashes rather than back slashed.

Hope this works - worked for me :)

(can you rate the post if it was helpful please - thanks).

"Cyhill" wrote:

Is there a way to import data to excel, from MS Access without haveing the
link referance a drive letter?

I would like the spreadsheet to referance only the drive name. This way
multiple users can update the excel file regardless of what drive letter they
have the shared drive containing the DB mapped to.