David McRitchie

Thanks for feedback. Since you are working with name and address list
and have been looking at my proper.htm, you might also glance at
snakecol.htm and mailmerg.htm so you will know about them before you
need them.

Terminology is important.
Try to use worksheet or workbook depending on which you mean, instead
of ambiguous words like file or spreadsheet when referring to Excel..

For your name and address list, I find it easiest to read if the phone
number is to the left of the name(s), and address information to the
right of the name then you can see everything relative to the name.
---
HTH,

"Sagit" wrote in message ...
By file, I mean a name and address list with only 8 columns: Title, First
Name, Last Name, Address, etc. I have gone to your web site and find it very
helpful. It discusses exactly what I want to do. There is a learning curve
for me, but that's why I'm in this computer business - I like to learn how to
solve problems. Thanks so much for your great suggestions.
--
S Jan

"David McRitchie" wrote:

Hi Sagit,
What do you mean by a file? In any case you want to change the
values in place with a macro and be done with it without having to clean
up afterwards and with the ability to handle 256 columns which I hope
you would not really need but it's the principle.

To convert a selection on a worksheet see upper_case macro at
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm#upper

You can select an entire column from the activecell with ctrl+spacebar,
or click on the column letter..
You can select the entire sheet with ctrl+shift+spacebar
otherwise known as ctrl+a except to those on Excel 2003
or click on th gray button between row and column headers

If by file you mean all cells in all worksheets in your workbook, see
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm#kindy
---
HTH,

"Sunantoro" wrote in message ...
Basically you need to insert a temporary column and place the function:
=Proper( ) and copy it all the way down. highlight the results and click Copy
- Value - Esc. Highlight again and copy to the original name cells. Same
method for the addresses.
SUNAN

"Sagit" wrote:

I have a file of names and addresses that were entered in all upper case. Is
there a fast way to change this file into upper and lower case? Thanks for
any help you can give me.
--
S Jan