JE McGimpsey

The reason SUM() is returning 0 is that all your calculated times are
Text, which SUM() ignores.

Instead of

=TEXT(D2-C2,"hh:mm")

use

=D2 - C2

and format the cell as a time (Format/Cells/Time)

If your hours span midnight, you'll have to correct for the fact that XL
stores times as fractional days, so, say, 9:00 pm = 0.875 and 3:00 am =
0.125.

One way to do that is to use XL's coercion of TRUE/FALSE to 1/0:

=D2 - C2 + (D2<C2)

a more obscure, but equivalent way, is

=MOD(D2-C2, 1)

In article ,
"M K Rao" <M K wrote:

I have caliculated the time worked for the day using the formula =TEXT(D2-C2,
"hh:mm"") -where D2 is the time work closed and C2 is the time work begun. I
got total time worked for the day in hours and minutes. I caliculated like
this for the whole month. Now here I am facing a big problem totalling all
the worked hours for the whole month. I used the formula =SUM(E2:E26)
where E2 is D2-C2 and so on. But no result. I formatted the cell where the
formula =SUM(E2:E26) as [hh]:mm as I have seen this formatting on these
pages.But to no use.Can any one can help me how to solve this problem step by
step since i am very new to excel. Just I have started learning Excel. Yet I
don't know abcd of Excel.