Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
PJFry PJFry is offline

Default Compare Column Headings

I have a spreadsheet that users paste a report into and I want to make sure
the data are in the correct columns. (Many of the reports provided to my
group have a similar layout, making it easy to make a mistake if you are not
paying close attention.)

Here is what I have:

Sub FindCol()
Sheets("Data").Select
Range("A1").Select
If ActiveCell.Value = "TC #" Then
Range("F1").Select
If ActiveCell.Value = "Dept #" Then
Exit Sub

Else

MsgBox ("Incorrect Value in Cell " & Range(ActiveCell.Row & ":" &
ActiveCell.Column))

Two issues:
1) The MsgBox is supposed to return the location of the incorrect cell, but
I get a type mismatch error. What do I need to do to convert the range to a
string?

2) Is there a better way to go about this? This works fine on two cells,
but if I ever want to add more, it will become increasingly difficult.

Thanks!
PJ