Bob Phillips

Nope. The brackets are totally superfluous in this instance. Excel follows
normal arithmetic conventions, BODMAS I believe is the acronym.

In the example you show, there is only one operator, the divide. This will
be resolved before the function, ROUND, is applied to it. IMO brackets
should be used to change the normal operator precedence, to force an
operator to act upon more elements than it would by default, or to group a
set of calculations for clarity within a complex formula. Whilst your usage
is negligible, neither criteria apply in your example, and unnecessary
brackets in complex formulae can make them far more difficult to debug.

--

HTH

RP

"Ed" wrote in message
Cell formula
=b2/(c4+c5)
I know that in this case, c4+c5 will get performed first because it is in
brackets.

Now, here is my question.
=ROUNDUP((D6/D7),0)

In this formula, do the brackets around the division cause the division to
be performed first even though they are within the roundup brackets?
Or would it do the division first anyway, without the brackets?

I am thinking that the default procedure would do the division first

without
the brackets.
But, by adding the brackets, I give the computer definite instructions

which
eliminates a possible problem. (I hope this is so.)
Do you agree with my thinking?
Ed