db

You have to put the dollar sign in front of the row number as well if it is
the row number you don't want to change, i.e.:

=PRODUCT($L$8:$M$5)

This formula will always reference L8 and M5 no matter which cell you paste
this formula into.
db

"Mike U." wrote:

I am attending a college-level computer applications course, and in my Excel
training, I have to format a pre-existing Excel sheet that has been made for
me. I've been having some problems, especially with this:

"In cell M4, type the word "Allowance". In cell M5, type "0.32" (the amount
paid per mile). In cell M8, write a Formula that multiplies the mileage in
cell L8 by the mileage allowance in cell M5. (Remember to use an Absolute
Reference to cell M5 and a relative reference to L8.) Copy the formula to
cells M9:M11."

I tried using the =PRODUCT(L8:$M5) formula, but for some reason, it always
changes L8 to L5 and M5 to M8. Why is this?