Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Geoff C Geoff C is offline

Default Workbook_Open not working?

Hi Peter, the additional bit was deliberately reduced. It was the original If
block that ran (as it should have done from the start), hence my bafflement.
Geoff.

"Peter T" wrote:

Hi Geoff,

Looks like Range("E2").Value < "New", so your original code won't pass the
'If' test, unlike your added code.

Regards,
Peter T

"Geoff C" wrote in message
I'm still a beginner at this, so would appreciate an expert explaining

what
is going on here. My Workook_Open macro (follows) was not running at all.
----------------------
Private Sub Workbook_Open()

Sheets("Audit").Select

If Range("E2").Value = "New" Then
Range("A2").Value = Application.UserName
Range("B2").Value = Date
Range("C2").Value = Time
Randomize
Range("D2").Value = Rnd()
ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="A" & Int(Rnd() * 10000000000#)
ActiveSheet.Visible = False
End If

Sheets("Profiles").Select

End Sub
----------------------
I added the following lines to the macro to try and see why
----------------------
If Range("E2").Value < "New" Then
Range("A2").Value = Application.UserName
End If
and suddenly it did work, even though the code itself should not have
resulted in any difference. Is there some compilation step that I'm
overlooking? This macro is going to get recycled into several different
spreadsheets and I need to document how to make it work for future
maintainers.

Many thanks,
Geoff.