Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
CRANSWICK, P[_2_] CRANSWICK, P[_2_] is offline

Default VBA duplication

Thanks, im slowly getting there i think. Its now accepting the code but it is
still updating the record set. I need it to bring a message box up and not to
update the record set if the mySQL slect finds a match. Im new to visual
basic so any help is appreciated, thanks

Paul

"Keith74" wrote:

Hi

The code i posted was more of a general principle thing as i don't
know exactly how you're set up. To make it a little more prescriptive
the select should be something like

mySQL = "SELECT PortfolioName FROM <tablename where PortfolioName is
found WHERE PortfolioName = ''" & <your textboxname.value & "'"

What we're doing is running a simple select to determine is the name
in your textbox already exists on the database. The results of the
query are checked using

If myRecordsSet.BOF = True and myRecordsSet.EOF = True then

The "myRecordSet" is whatever you have Dimmed you recordset object as,
and the "myRecordsSet.BOF = True and myRecordsSet.EOF" checks to see
if the recordset is empty, i.e that name doesn't exist on the table.

If you're still having trouble pm me.

Keith