Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
XP XP is offline

Default Back door into locked form

Hi,

I haven't had the issue of the auto open, but I do know you can by pass it
by holding down the shift key if a file is opened normally.

Do you know if that was just a bug in an earlier version of XL that has been
fixed by now?

"Ronald Dodge" wrote:

You could use the Terminate Event on the userform to unlock these things.
However, if you prefer, you can also setup an input box or have it go to a
different user form for something like putting in a password to unlock
everything.

I also had a similar type situation in June of 2001 when I built my
production reporting system for the operators to report into. I mainly
password protected the worksheets, workbook, and VBA, which then I used code
to control a lot of the various things. Since I ran into issues of the Open
Event on the Workbook object not working at times when the workbook is
opened like it suppose to regardless if it's opened by way of user opening
or VBA opening. I ended up using the "Private Sub Auto_Open()" route to run
code that needs to be done just after the file itself is open. Now with
this route, it runs automatically if user opens the workbook, but it doesn't
run automatically if it's opened by VBA.

I not only had to have it locked down so as operators couldn't just make
adjustments, but also had to have a way to make adjustments to the various
individual files on an as needed basis. To this day, this reporting system
that I built in June 2001 over a 3 week period is still in place.

--

Sincerely,

Ronald R. Dodge, Jr.
Master MOUS 2000

"XP" wrote in message
Using Office 2003 and Windows XP;

I am developing a form for wide distribution that will be locked down
fairly
well. I know anything can be hacked, the sole purpose is to discourage
casual
mistakes and tampering that would generally compromise the programming
built
into the form.

However, I need to build myself a back door into the form that will unlock
everything and restore certain menus that will be controlled, etc. This is
needed so that myself and another developer can periodically perform
maintenance on the form. I already have the unlocking code written, but
what
is a good way to access it without a user stumbling onto the key?

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to "back door" my way into my own
locked down form once its placed into production?

All suggestions welcomed, please respond...thanks in advance.