kk

Hi Tom,

Your formula should be working. You need to press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to
confirm the formula.
Excel will places curly braces around your formula.

Take a look at he
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/array.htm
http://www.emailoffice.com/excel/arrays-bobumlas.html

kk

"Cybertech" wrote
in message ...

I'm a newbe having problems with the functions IF and AVERAGE. I have a
spreadsheet with about 1322 rows. In Column "B" I have a value that
ranges from 0-10. In Column "D" I have numerical data.

I want to average only those rows in Column "D" that have a certain
value in Column "B". I created the following formula:

=AVERAGE(IF(B1:B1322=3,D1:D1322))

All it returns is the average of all the numbers in Column "D". What am
I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Tom

--