Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
BobR BobR is offline

Default Getting the User Name

Steve,

I have a similar issue but need the path to my desktop to put a blank
folder.
How would I put it in code to return the path to my desktop and then put a
folder onto the desktop. We could use blank folder for the name of the
folder?

Thank you
Bob Reynolds

"Steve Yandl" wrote in message
Otto,

Try something like

Sub FindMyFolder()
Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(&H5&)
strMyDocs = objFolder.Self.Path
MsgBox Left(strMyDocs, Len(strMyDocs) - 13)
End Sub

This finds the 'My Documents' folder for the current user and then simply
trims off the "\My Documents" from the right of the path string. If
you're actually wanting the user's desktop folder or something like that,
there are other constants you could use in the Namespace line to retrieve
the folder path more directly.

Steve

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote in message
Excel XP & Win XP
I need to get, via VBA, the user name. At least, that's what I thought I
needed. What I really need is the name of the folder under "Documents
and Settings" that the current user is working in. I thought this was
the user name.
On my computer, that folder name is my full name, as in First Last.
So I ran a little one line macro:
MsgBox Application.UserName
That gave me my first name only. Obviously, that line of code is not
looking for the folder name I need that Windows created when I installed
Windows.
Looking through Windows, I see that my user account name is the same as
the folder name I need
Question: How do I get that 'user account'/folder name via VBA? Thanks
for your time. Otto