joeeng

Thanks for the historical info.

"Conrad Carlberg" wrote:

It's an error due, I think, to very old menu structures. The article says
that the information applies to everything from version 5.0 (1995) through
2003, inclusive. But I believe that the Set Database menu item disappeared
from the Data menu as of Excel 97. And one has long defined a name using the
Insert menu, not the Formula menu. But my rapidly deteriorating neurons
whisper that once upon a time there was a Define Name item in the Formula
menu.

Using any version since and including Excel 97, and assuming per 183446 that
you want a chart to update automatically when you add new data, you could
(using the article's example data layout) define the name Date as
=OFFSET($A$1,1,0,COUNTA($A:$A)-1,1) and Sales as =OFFSET(Date,0,1). In that
case, you would not bother to define a Database name. Be careful that you
have no extraneous values in column A -- else the COUNTA function will
return too large a result.

BTW, there still is a Set Database statement in VBA if you first add a
reference to DAO; using ADO you'd likely use Set [declared ADO connection].

C^2

Conrad Carlberg
Excel Sales Forecasting for Dummies, Wiley, 2005

--

"joeeng" wrote in message
In Microsoft article 183446 under method 2, it refers to using "Set

Database"
on the Data menu. I am using Excel 2002 (the article says it applies to
Excel 2002), but Set Database does not appear in my Data menu. Is this an
error?