David McRitchie

Hi Isobel,
You can program it by starting from the bottom and inserting rows,
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...ow.htm#ColAchg
but I really would recommend other alternatives/solutions instead.

If not using SubTotals and not adding numbers within a group,
you could use conditional formatting to bold the Column A cell
or the entire row when Column A changes.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm

Cond Format 1: formula is:
=AND(ROW()1,$A1<OFFSET($A1,-1,0))
entered with cell A1 as the active cell
Select column A if you just want to format column A, or
Select all cells if you want to format the entire row.
---
HTH,

"Isobel05" wrote in message ...
each time a number changes in a designated column? Basically I have a very
large spreadsheet that is difficult to read. I have been asked to make a
macro that inserts three blank rows every time the number in my ITEMNBR
column changes. The trouble is I don't know how to ask Excel to look for a
change in number. The only function in Excel that I know of that does this is
the Subtotals function. I tried using it and putting the subtotal in a new
column, which I would then hide, but the function puts information in the
rows below each new number, so that doesn't help.

The Subtotals function: "At each change in" is what I need, but after that I
need "add three rows", not a mathematical function.

Does anyone know how to program this into a macro? I don't know Visual Basic
and have no idea what the coding would be.

Thanks.