oldgit99

Default Splitting a Target Figure

Hi All

I have a problem with splitting up the target figures for the year.

We have a number of objectives to meet over a year some are high figure
(150 cases per month) others are very low (as low as 4 cases per year.
I need to develop a spreadsheet which will allow me to present both the
expectations and results so that managers can see how close we are to
meeting our target figures.

I have come up with the formula
"=ROUND(($b$20*(3/12)),)-SUM(c20:d20)"
whe-
1. $b$20 represents the target figure for the whole year,
2. 3/12 represents the month to date ie 3rd month
3. C20:D20 represents the total of months 1 and 2.

This seemed to work okay at pproviding an even split throughout the
year but at this point a complications was introduced by one of the
managers - 'seasonal variation'. In short he cannot meet an even
spread of target because it is difficult to get work done in some
months - weather/ staff leave etc.. I had thought that I could get
round this with a slight variation
"=ROUND((($b$20*(3/12))*SEASONALFACTORS),)-SUM(c20:d20)"
where
SEASONALFACTOR would represent the a factor that would reduce the
target for that month to maybe 50% e.g. *0.5

However this just results in the figure for the next month being
increased to cover the shortfall in the previous month. This is not
what I need - I want the spread to go over the rest of the year.

I also for see it causing a problem if there is a difficult month
towards the end of the year.

Does anyone know of a better way of addressing this problem please.

Thanks

an old git!