Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Peter T Peter T is offline

Default How to terminate an object that's in a collection

Thanks for provided a work around though.

It wasn't a workaround, it was the correct way to remove an item from a
collection, and with no other pointers to the class will destroy the class
(some rare exceptions with 'circular object references')

Probably best not to think of a collection item as an object variable.

Another way to refer to multiple instances of the same class would be with
an array, eg

Dim arrClass() as Class1
Redim arrClass(0 to 3)
Set arrClass(0) = New Class1
' code
arrClass(0).myMethod blah ' intellisence here
set arrClass(0) = nothing

Regards,
Peter T

"vivmaha" wrote in message

My problem is that I dont have references to things in the collection.
I can iterate through the collection, instance the items, and do exactly
what u did, but i wanted to know why the "Set collec.item(1) = nothing"
throws an error.

Thanks for provided a work around though.

"George Nicholson" wrote:

Coll.Add MyClass, "Test"
Coll.Remove 1 'removes item from collection, but MyClass still

exists
Set MyClass = Nothing 'Removes MyClass from memory

You are adding an object to the collection, but the object also exists

in
memory outside of the collection. Any given object could possibly exist

in
multiple collections. (Pretty sure that with custom classes you are

adding a
copy of the object to a collection. In my experience, changing a

property of
a custom object in one collection will not "update" the same object's
property in another collection.)

Removing an object from a collection won't remove it from memory, unless

it
is the last outstanding reference to the object.

Coll.Add MyClass, "Test"
Set MyClass = Nothing 'removes 1st instance from memory (coll.count

still
equals 1)
Coll.Remove 1 'removes object from collection and memory

HTH,

"vivmaha" wrote in message
"Coll" is a standard VBA Collection object.
The first item in it is a MyClass object.
How do I delete this object? (and free the memory used)

This does not work:
Coll.remove 1 'The memory of item 1 is still allocated

This crashes:
Set Coll.item(1) = nothing '<Crash occurs here (Err 438)
Coll.remove 1

Thanks.