Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tim Childs Tim Childs is offline

Default Application Event Procedure <Falling Over

Hi Peter

I seem to get it to work when I change the code as follows:

Sub Reset_EnableEvents_NEW()
'If AppClass Is Nothing Then
' 'Set AppClass = New ClassName
' Set AppClass = New EventClass
' Set AppClass.App = Application
'End If
If AppClass.App Is Nothing Then
'MsgBox "found it"
Set AppClass.App = Application

When I just used:
If AppClass Is Nothing Then
I did not trap the problem, I seemed to have to use:
If AppClass.App Is Nothing
to trap the <falling over

Any explanation of this would be welcome.

The help is much appreciated

Tim

Hi Tim,

I understood from the onset that you are trapping application level

events,
so you would have a class module named [say] ClassName, in the class

module
something like this

Public withevents App as Excel.application

also, at module level in a normal module you would maintain a reference to
your class named [say] ClassName

Dim AppClass as ClassName

In my sample code. not knowing what you named your class I wrote at random
'ClassName'. You will need to change this to whatever you named your

class,
perhaps it's still named 'Class1'.

Regards,
Peter T

"Tim Childs" wrote in message
Hi

I could not get the code below to compile:
Sub Reset_EnableEvents_NEW()
If AppClass Is Nothing Then
Set AppClass = New ClassName
Set AppClass.App = Application

"New ClassName" above produced the compile error:
"User-defined type not defined"

I had Option Explicit turned on in the module

Any help welcome. THANKS

Tim

"Tim Childs" wrote in message
Hi Peter

Many thanks for response

I will try to assimilate in the programming. The underlying problem is

that
sometimes the program simply does not start up properly when the file
containing it is opened. The problem is intermittent so I was very
interested in being able to test as directly as possible, rather than

by
proxy e.g. the proxy would be testing the value of a new boolean flag
variable, although I will incorporate that as well.

Best wishes
Tim

If AppClass is Nothing then ...

If your previously created class, that holds the ref to Excel
(AppClass.App
= Application) and handles application 'withevents', has

unexpectedly
become
nothing, ie it's been destroyed, you can go on to recreate or

'reset'
it.

You could of course use RBS's suggestion to check 'If Not bWBOpened
then...'
anywhere in your code and go on to reset your objects, and perhaps

any
other
global variables.

If you are going to check your settings periodically with the OnTime
method
you will need to call some routine, which might just as well be your
existing Sub Reset_EnableEvents(). But in the routine only reset if
necessary.

Regards,
Peter T