Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tim Childs Tim Childs is offline

Default Application Event Procedure <Falling Over

Hi Peter

Many thanks for response

I will try to assimilate in the programming. The underlying problem is that
sometimes the program simply does not start up properly when the file
containing it is opened. The problem is intermittent so I was very
interested in being able to test as directly as possible, rather than by
proxy e.g. the proxy would be testing the value of a new boolean flag
variable, although I will incorporate that as well.

Best wishes
Tim

If AppClass is Nothing then ...

If your previously created class, that holds the ref to Excel

(AppClass.App
= Application) and handles application 'withevents', has unexpectedly

become
nothing, ie it's been destroyed, you can go on to recreate or 'reset' it.

You could of course use RBS's suggestion to check 'If Not bWBOpened

then...'
anywhere in your code and go on to reset your objects, and perhaps any

other
global variables.

If you are going to check your settings periodically with the OnTime

method
you will need to call some routine, which might just as well be your
existing Sub Reset_EnableEvents(). But in the routine only reset if
necessary.

Regards,
Peter T

"Tim Childs" wrote in message
Hi Peter

Thanks for response. Can someone explain what the suggested change to

the
procedure

Sub Reset_EnableEvents()
If AppClass is nothing then
set AppClass = new ClassName
Set AppClass.App = Application
end if

End Sub

is doing because I dont yet understand.

Thanks

Tim

Hi Tim,

If I follow you are trapping application level events and want to

cater
for
the possibility the class holding the app ref has been destroyed, eg

by
user
pressing the reset button. You could set a boolean flag, which if

false
would indicate your variables have been destroyed. However you might

just
as
well amend your routine -

Sub Reset_EnableEvents()
If AppClass is nothing then
set AppClass = new ClassName
Set AppClass.App = Application
end if

End Sub

I can't think of anything that will automatically tell you that your
AppClass no longer exists, so you would need to check periodically. In
theory you could trap the VBE Reset button-click event but there are

other
ways your ref could be destroyed. Perhaps look into the OnTime method

with
Schedule to run the amended Reset_EnableEvents routine (don't forget

clear it when done).

Regards,
Peter T