marcky

Thanks Dave, but that's the point. It is annoying to have to start clicking
every time for something that seems so logical to be done automatically.
Suppose I would open a text file in Word and by default it would show me only
the first few letters of each word and had to click between every word to see
the whole words or something. That would be completely unacceptable but
apparently somehow this is seems accepted normal behaviour in Excel... But I
still hope I'm wrong...

Marc

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

If you save the data as a text file, then no formatting is gonna be
saved--including the columnwidths.

You could create a macro (and save it in another workbook--since that text file
can't have macros, too) and then just run that macro.

But ctrl-a (twice in xl2003) to select all the cells and doubleclicking between
a couple of columns doesn't seem like a lot of work to me.

marcky wrote:

Hi,

I've looked everywhere but I can't find it. How do I instruct Excell to
always and automatically autofit all cells in a worksheet when I open the
file by double clicking on it??

More specifically, I have tab separated clolumns of strings in a file with a
.xls extension. The files opens ok, but all the columns have a standard width
and I want to be able to read all my data without any extra clicking to make
the columns wider. Why isn't there a Tools-- Options-- View-- 'Autofit
cells on opening' checkbox or something? Or am I looking at the wrong place?

Thanks,
Marc

--

Dave Peterson