Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Peter T Peter T is offline

Default finding a file in excel

Comments in line -

"Ronald Dodge" wrote in message
I have seen that happen in XL97, XL2000, and XL2002, but can't say for
XL2003 or later.

If you mean these versions store custom toolbars in Personal.xls vs the XLB
file, that would only occur if a toolbar was attached to Personal.xls (not
typical), otherwise toolbars are indeed stored in the XLB file as Gord says.

<snip
Two of the issues that I had to contend with in Excel 97, SR-2 we

When dividing the sum of one range greater than 25 rows by the sum of
another range greater than 25 rows, it would return the result as "1/0"

Works fine for me in XL97, IOW I can't recreate that problem, unless of
course the result should indeed be 1/0. Perhaps you are referring to certain
formulas that reference an array that exceeds the 5461 element limit. The
same limitation persisted largley unresolved and poorly documented in
XL2000. However I don't relate that to what you describe.

When using charts, no matter what setting was used on the legend, the

legend
would gradually work it's way from the position it was set at to the top
center portion of the chart. That was during the days when my VBA

knowledge
was very limited.

I haven't particularly noticed that though XL97 charts are somewhat more
'sensitive' in some unexpected ways. However the SR2 fixed quite a few
things with charts.

It's history now and despite some bugs, in its day Excel 97 was a killer App
!

Regards,
Peter T

Ronald

Incorrect information on later versions.

Excel stores all Menu and Toolbar customizations in the *.XLB file.

I believe you are thinking of pre-xl97 when Excel had the old menu

editor
and
stored the customizations in Personal.xls

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 3 May 2007 16:19:12 -0400, "Ronald Dodge"

wrote:

By default, Excel stores any custom toolbars in the Personal.xls

workbook,
which is stored under the general startup folder that any user can get

to.
This workbook is also generally hidden as it's hidden by default.
However,
the user can attach such toolbars to other workbooks.